Hey everyone, hope you all had a great weekend!
The Splash team is back from Social Media Marketing World 2015 and it seems that we are still reliving every moment trying to utilize every scrap of valuable data that we picked up along the way. I swear, after the first night of the conference, I had dreams of pinning and re-pinning on Pinterest. Phew!
Last week’s conference was a tornado of information! In our recent post “Social Splash post 7 Genius Quotes from Social Media Marketing World 2015“, we talked about some of the most compelling quotes taken from the all-star group of speakers at the event. Check that out if you haven’t already!
Right now, I am going to focus on some of my favorite highlights from the conference and give you guys a quick look at the Splash SMMW15 journey.
Here are My 7 Favorite Highlights from Social Media Marketing World 2015:
- Meeting Pam Moore at the opening night party on the U.S.S. Midway and talking with her and her husband Josh Moore about their humble marketing beginnings. By chance, they were sitting at a semi-open table and we decided to sit down next to them. They had a wealth of information to share and were extremely generous with their time. Derric and I enjoyed speaking with them and hearing their story.
- Taking notes like a high school senior. In an actual notebook, using a pen with ink. That my friends, felt real. I think I still have a blister on my finger from all of that pen action.
- Watching Guy Kawasaki. “Keep posting until you piss people off! It’s ok to piss
people off.” Pretty much everything this guy says and does is gold. He literally does post like every 5 seconds. I love his fervor for the job. It’s inspiring to watch someone like him give a talk.
- #Networking. SO MUCH #NETWORKING! I loved sitting with Jenn Herman for lunch on Friday because she lead the table in conversation and gave so much great advice about starting a blog and sticking to a solid editorial schedule.
- Beach Party Karaoke – it was all that I had dreamed it would be. I got to the party as early as humanly possible so that I could sign up before the list got too long. I already decided that I was going to lose my mind to Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On.” As my turn approached, I started to get extremely nervous because there were about 150 onlookers, but liquid courage did its duty and I managed to belt out that song like I was alone in the shower.
Being Super – The only social media tool that no one uses. I mean really, no one uses this thing. It’s unfortunate because I think it is just so fun and totally appropriate for the occasion!
- Singing in the SMMW15 Choir. I know, it’s nerdy. And I had to wake up at 6am to make it there in time to participate. Annnnd…. that was after Beach Party Karaoke. It was a rough morning, but I powered through the rest of the day and still managed to be present (sorta) through all of my seminars. It was well worth it.
Overall, I would call this conference a success. It was a lot of dollars, but we get our money’s worth. I learned so much from this experience and had a blast meeting so many people in the industry. If you didn’t make out this year, I’ll leave you with a link to a quick video that was uploaded by Michael Gebben so you can see some of the event highlights for yourself! Hopefully we will see you next year 🙂